From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Catalyst{,2} and 2006.0
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:44:08
1 On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 11:05 -0500, Rajiv Aaron Manglani wrote:
2 > On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
3 >
4 > > So what about the first problem? Working, real configs for gentoo releases?
5 > > I am thinking something of the kind, will it be possible/good/easy to start preparing a few configs
6 > > for the next release (2006.0 right?), complete configs starting from say
7 > > stage1-x86-2005.1-r1.tar.bz2 (as usually x86 is getting the most beating).
8 >
9 > emerge -av livecd-specs livecd-kconfigs
10 > is a good starting point.
11
12 While these are for the 2005.1 release, they are still perfectly valid
13 for use in catalyst 2.0.
16 > > And as a good practice, leave all configs (for some time) in the source of catalyst sot that anybody
17 > > , more in practice than in theory, can produce an install CD.
18 >
19 > catalyst 2.0_rc12 at least installs lots of examples in
20 > /usr/share/doc/catalyst-*/examples
21
22 Correct. The examples are probably the best documentation out there.
23
24 The simple truth is that we have been making so many changes to the code
25 over the last year or so that it has been impossible to keep up with the
26 web-based documentation. We'd rather have working code than pretty
27 documents. Sorry guys.
28
29 > > Customized bootable CD can be used NOT only for:
30 > > Installing on "strange" hardware
31 >
32 > i'm using catalyst to generate install cds for a custom medical device.
33 >
34 > hang out in #gentoo-releng ... thats where i learned all about catalyst.
35
36 Please, please, please... do *not* join #gentoo-releng unless you want
37 to watch us talk. We are nearing release times which means that
38 *nobody* that is not working on an official Gentoo release will have
39 voice in that channel. The channel is *not* a catalyst support channel.
40 There is a mailing list for that express purpose. We don't need a flood
41 of people coming in asking how to use the application while we're busy
42 trying to get a release out the door. If you want catalyst help or just
43 to discuss catalyst, please join the gentoo-catalyst mailing list.
46 Chris Gianelloni
47 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
48 x86 Architecture Team
49 Games - Developer