From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] OpenRc-0.12 is coming soon
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 11:43:35
1 On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 6:03 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Aug 3, 2013 10:06 AM, "Donnie Berkholz" <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 15:36 Fri 02 Aug , William Hubbs wrote:
4 >> > I do not know of any breakage personally. It does work on my system, and
5 >> > I know of others who are using OpenRc from git successfully. Some are
6 >> > OpenRc team members, and at least one is a Gentoo user.
7 >>
8 >> Man, in terms of how to phrase things, this is way wrong.
9 >>
10 >> If you're comfortable with your stuff breaking really? No. If you want
11 >> to help improve Gentoo.
12 >>
13 > I am not comfortable with this either. If you think the new openrc will
14 > likely break things please mask it for a few days. Do not expect all users
15 > to read the mailing list.
16
17 I think the only real issue is the wording here.
18
19 He said that several are running it successfully. I think that this
20 means that is sufficiently stable to add to ~arch unmasked. Adding it
21 masked won't really accomplish anything unless there is a call for
22 volunteer testers anyway. (By all means williamh should do so if he
23 feels it is prudent.)
24
25 ~arch is UNSTABLE - from time to time things are expected to break.
26 We shouldn't be committing known breakage, but since ~arch is where
27 things are tested it is more likely that inadvertent problems will
28 sneak in. Openrc is one of those things that is inconvenient to have
29 break, so the heads-up is a good idea, and perhaps some individuals
30 will prefer to delay updating this particular package. The fact that
31 everybody will pick a different wait time also staggers the rollout so
32 we don't have 50,000 broken systems on day 1.
33
34 I don't expect all users to read the mailing list, but users who are
35 interested in testing our experimental packages probably should do so.
36 If users aren't interested in testing our experimental packages, they
37 shouldn't be running unstable keywords - certainly not for openrc.
38
39 And yes, I fully expect a few people to chime in and point out that
40 they find ~arch less buggy than stable because more devs run it. The
41 fact remains that accepting ~arch means that you're willing to deal
42 with bleeding-edge packages that have not been tested. That is a fine
43 and noble thing, and maybe it works out better for you 99 times out of
44 100. However, 1 time out of 100 it might be openrc that bugs out on
45 you. You should always be prepared for this (and really - it isn't
46 that hard to run quickpkg before doing big upgrades and have a rescue
47 CD lying around).
48
49 Rich