From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new eclass: xdg and xdg-utils as a replacement for fdo-mime
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 15:04:32
1 On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o> wrote:
2 > This is an attempt to fix bug #208047 [1] and bug #444568 [2]
3 >
4 > Current fdo-mime eclass is often not used when it should be. I suppose
5 > this is partly because one has to think too much about whether it is
6 > needed or not and what to do with the functions.
7 >
8 > The proposed solution is to not have to worry about it and just inherit
9 > it when you have any kind of XDG specifications support and let the
10 > exported phases do their job in a similar fashion to the gnome
11 > eclasses.
12 >
13 > For now, this covers .desktop and shared mime-info files and creating
14 > base directory for packages that rely on it one way or another.
15 >
16 > This helps solve problems like bug #545128 [3] and others that have
17 > been covered by previous work resulting in gnome2_environment_reset
18 > function and similar in other eclasses (cmake-utils, gstreamer, kde4
19 > -base, mono, mono-env, qt4-*).
20
21 > xdg_desktopfiles_savelist() {
22 > pushd "${D}" &> /dev/null
23 > export XDG_ECLASS_DESKTOPFILES=$(find 'usr/share/applications' -type f 2> /dev/null)
24 > popd &> /dev/null
25 > }
26
27 Why are you sending stderr from pushd/popd to /dev/null? If they fail,
28 we want to see that in the log. As well, they should probably die, or
29 at least return from the function with a non-zero status.
30
31 This may also need some adjusting to work on prefix, but I will leave
32 that for someone else to figure out.