From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Code Review Systems Was: [gentoo-dev] Git Migration: launch plan & schedule
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 18:03:43
1 On July 4, 2015 1:49:20 PM EDT, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 >
3 >NP-Hardass wrote:
4 >> I am unfamiliar with how other big projects that use code review
5 >> systems. Do they generally make (almost) everyone participate,
6 >
7 >In coreboot, which admittedly isn't such a big project, my impression
8 >is that the introduction of Gerrit has lead to increased
9 >participation. Previously patches and review went across the mailing
10 >list, and many simply filtered the whole list into a folder.
13 >> or do they typically restrict review to a certain class of users?
14 >
15 >Hm, why would that end up happening? I'm not saying it can't, just
16 >that I don't understand why it would. What do you have in mind?
19 >//Peter
20
21 Well, it was just proposed earlier in the thread that it could be used for non-devs (primarily/only), hence two classes of users, those subjected to review and those not.
22
23 An alternative is a situation where all users, developer and non developer alike require review with the review requirements different between the two, e.g. devs need one signoff, non devs need two.
24
25 Additionally, for certain aspects, a hybrid of those two might be useful. A project or herd accepts direct commits to its packages from its members and has code review for non members (with the number of signoffs dependent on the group/content.
28 NP-Hardass