From: Chris Johnson <cmjohn@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Unstable branch proposal - second round
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:40:49
1 What I don't like about this, and catching Aaron Cohen's tone perhaps in
2 his follow-up email ("Great, we will be a Debian Want a be!"), is the
3 complexity of a set of cvs branches, stability levels, etc.
4
5 It's what has made a mess of debian from the perspective of having
6 mature packages float to the top and become available in a timely
7 manner. See, if I run debian, I have to make all sorts of decisions
8 about what stability level, which tree, which mirrors, etc. I want to
9 connect to. With the quality of ebuilds and the ease of the gentoo
10 system, we can have much lower complexity and higher quality.
11
12 I vote strongly against any cvs branches of the portage tree--that's why
13 we currently have the -rx designations, anyway! Leverage that and the
14 organic nature of the community (i.e., see my proposal at
15 http://relentless.org:8000/gentoo/forum/message?message_id=6584&forum_id=6581 )
16 to get a simple, effective system.
17
18 Please, avoid the duplication of effort that all the branches of debian
19 represent!
20
21 Chris