From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 20:20:45
1 On 09/14/2018 03:58 PM, Richard Yao wrote:
2 >>
3 >> No one has answered the question: what do you do when a stable package
4 >> breaks because of a new warning?
5 >>
6 >> ...>
7 > Wouldn’t this be largely covered as part of GCC stabilization? We could reserve the right to kill -Werror in a package where it blocks GCC stabilization if the maintainer does not handle it in a timely manner.
10 They would be uncovered during GCC stabilization, but then you're right
11 back in the original situation: how do you fix the stable package? The
12 only answer that doesn't violate some other policy is to patch it in a
13 new revision and wait for it to stabilize again.
14
15 Other questions arise: Do we block stabilization of clang et al.?
16
17 If we can simply remove -Werror because it's been a month, were the
18 warnings ever really important to begin with?
19
20 How many packages do we want to make the toolchain team stop and fix
21 before they can do their jobs?