From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 20:30:01
1 On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 4:20 PM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 09/14/2018 03:58 PM, Richard Yao wrote:
4 > >>
5 > >> No one has answered the question: what do you do when a stable package
6 > >> breaks because of a new warning?
7 > >>
8 > >> ...>
9 > > Wouldn’t this be largely covered as part of GCC stabilization? We could reserve the right to kill -Werror in a package where it blocks GCC stabilization if the maintainer does not handle it in a timely manner.
10 > >>
11 >
12 > They would be uncovered during GCC stabilization, but then you're right
13 > back in the original situation: how do you fix the stable package? The
14 > only answer that doesn't violate some other policy is to patch it in a
15 > new revision and wait for it to stabilize again.
16 >
17 > Other questions arise: Do we block stabilization of clang et al.?
20 Presumably we could make it a blocker, so then portage won't install
21 the new stable toolchain. That buys time and only affects users of
22 that particular package. But, as I pointed out before you can do that
23 without using -Werror - just block installation with an unqualified
24 toolchain.
25
26 You would only use an approach like this for packages where QA was
27 fairly important, so the inconvenience would be worth it.
30 Rich