From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic SLOTs
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 16:29:20
1 On Saturday 31 July 2004 04:32 am, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > Well, the idea was that to create local USE flags of the form cc-${ARCH},
3 > have the gcc ebuilds use them to configure the cross compiler and also have
4 > them control the the slot. The only real difference to what there is now
5 > would be that portage would be able to forecast the SLOT correctly.
6
7 so the user would do USE="cc-arm" to get an arm cross compiler ?
8
9 and then in the ebuild we'd have to do something like:
10 SLOT="cc-arm? ( blah )" ?
11 how'd would we specify a default slot ?
12
13 > If you're asking about using portage itself to do the cross-compiling, well
14 > we're still a ways from that I think. Isn't the main issue there that
15 > packages link against / instead of ${ROOT}?
16
17 a few things / ideas ...
18 - you wouldnt merge the cross compiler to $ROOT, you would merge it to /
19 - it would be impossible to link against things in / since those libraries are
20 of a different format
21 - i believe cross compilers have a diff linking / include / etc... path setup
22 - if we start supporting $LDFLAGS more, this will be easier :)
23 -mike
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list