From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of elibtoolize
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 20:58:35
1 On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 11:24:19 +0200
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > You said that flameeyes raised this about 10 years ago. It has
5 > > indeed been 10 years!
6 > >
7 > > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/caa153de0d23dc264330f5e702f26e58
8 > >
9 > > The solution he preferred back then was to split elibtoolize into
10 > > its own package and have Portage depend on it. I hadn't considered
11 > > that and I quite like it too. There was only one brief reply to the
12 > > thread back then. Can you think of any downsides now?
15 > Well, I don't see any fundamental difference in specing 'call this
16 > utility' vs. proper profile.bashrc. If you don't want specing, then
17 > indeed an utility is the way to go, but this could imply some packages
18 > build with portage because it elibtoolizes them and fail with PMs that
19 > don't.
20
21 So we mandate it in PMS.
22
23 > Also, keep in mind that with an external utility you have far less
24 > control on what is executed than with something in $PORTDIR: people
25 > may use an older buggy version of the utility, while when shipping it
26 > in $PORTDIR you are sure that the version is up to date.
27
28 I was going to say what kent\n said, that Portage itself can just as
29 easily be outdated. He also makes a good point about depending on a
30 minimum version when necessary. This shouldn't be needed often. Ideally
31 Portage would keep pulling in a recent version anyway.
32
33 I went ahead and converted libtool.eclass into an external script with
34 very few changes to start with, just as a proof of concept. I removed
35 the few references to other eclass helpers but still retained a little
36 dependence on variables exported by Portage. I then stuck a call to
37 this to near the top of econf() and tried out some packages, including
38 those that had failed on me before. Well whaddya know, it works. I
39 guess I should continue?
42 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
43 Gentoo Linux Developer