From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of elibtoolize
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 09:24:37
1 On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 21:35:29 +0100
2 James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
3 [...]
4 > > On the other hand, we could go the complete opposite direction of
5 > > what has been done in the past years with PMS: provide a generic
6 > > way to extend ebuild env from profiles, with the ability to
7 > > "include" some "eclasses", define default phases and pre/post
8 > > phases hooks. This would have, e.g., saved the need to completely
9 > > rewrite and spec epatch, avoided every PM to copy/paste default
10 > > phases implementations from PMS, etc. However, this has somewhat
11 > > the same disadvantage than eclasses: one commits crap there and
12 > > breaks every system in subtle ways...
13 >
14 > I don't think I want to open this can of worms either. :(
15 >
16 > You said that flameeyes raised this about 10 years ago. It has indeed
17 > been 10 years!
18 >
19 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/caa153de0d23dc264330f5e702f26e58
20 >
21 > The solution he preferred back then was to split elibtoolize into its
22 > own package and have Portage depend on it. I hadn't considered that
23 > and I quite like it too. There was only one brief reply to the thread
24 > back then. Can you think of any downsides now?
27 Well, I don't see any fundamental difference in specing 'call this
28 utility' vs. proper profile.bashrc. If you don't want specing, then
29 indeed an utility is the way to go, but this could imply some packages
30 build with portage because it elibtoolizes them and fail with PMs that
31 don't.
32
33 Also, keep in mind that with an external utility you have far less
34 control on what is executed than with something in $PORTDIR: people may
35 use an older buggy version of the utility, while when shipping it in
36 $PORTDIR you are sure that the version is up to date.