From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of elibtoolize
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 20:35:49
1 On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 17:53:43 +0200
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I doubt including elibtoolize in portage/econf/pms is a viable
5 > solution: there is way too much code, N patches times M libtool
6 > versions to handle, and in rare cases one needs to call elibtoolize
7 > with some optional arguments. Specing that would be a pain for no real
8 > gain.
9
10 Having just looked at the code a bit closer, I see what you mean but…
11
12 > On the other hand, we could go the complete opposite direction of what
13 > has been done in the past years with PMS: provide a generic way to
14 > extend ebuild env from profiles, with the ability to "include"
15 > some "eclasses", define default phases and pre/post phases hooks. This
16 > would have, e.g., saved the need to completely rewrite and spec
17 > epatch, avoided every PM to copy/paste default phases implementations
18 > from PMS, etc. However, this has somewhat the same disadvantage than
19 > eclasses: one commits crap there and breaks every system in subtle
20 > ways...
21
22 I don't think I want to open this can of worms either. :(
23
24 You said that flameeyes raised this about 10 years ago. It has indeed
25 been 10 years!
26
27 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/caa153de0d23dc264330f5e702f26e58
28
29 The solution he preferred back then was to split elibtoolize into its
30 own package and have Portage depend on it. I hadn't considered that and
31 I quite like it too. There was only one brief reply to the thread back
32 then. Can you think of any downsides now?
35 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
36 Gentoo Linux Developer