From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of elibtoolize
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 15:54:00
1 On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 11:05:27 +0100
2 James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I've just started cross-compiling again for the first time in about
5 > two years. Now I remember why I couldn't rely on bashrc for this.
6 > elibtoolize comes from the libtool eclass and you can't inherit
7 > additional eclasses from bashrc.
8
9 Well, technically you can but it becomes really hackish :)
12 I doubt including elibtoolize in portage/econf/pms is a viable
13 solution: there is way too much code, N patches times M libtool
14 versions to handle, and in rare cases one needs to call elibtoolize
15 with some optional arguments. Specing that would be a pain for no real
16 gain.
19 On the other hand, we could go the complete opposite direction of what
20 has been done in the past years with PMS: provide a generic way to
21 extend ebuild env from profiles, with the ability to "include"
22 some "eclasses", define default phases and pre/post phases hooks. This
23 would have, e.g., saved the need to completely rewrite and spec epatch,
24 avoided every PM to copy/paste default phases implementations from PMS,
25 etc. However, this has somewhat the same disadvantage than eclasses:
26 one commits crap there and breaks every system in subtle ways...