From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 01:32:16
1 On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 20:27:38 -0400
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >
4 > > Though I will have to see what happens if a package is listed in
5 > > more than one set. I think there is a hierarchy there.
6 >
7 > I tried "emerge -pv --unmerge @palemoon_build", and it was ready to
8 > delete all the stuff, including gcc, etc.
9
10 Did you get any warnings? Your about to remove a system package, etc.
11
12 > > Not to mention if it was removed. I think the world or system set
13 > > would pull it back in.
14 >
15 > Kind of hard to "pull it back in" if gcc or glib or ncurses isn't
16 > present. This is rather dangerous. The problem is that, unlike an
17 > ebuild, "emerge --unmerge @set" removes all packages in the set,
18 > regardless of whether they're required by another package or not.
19
20 It is the same as doing emerge -C gcc. At the same time if you built and
21 generated a binary package. On re-emerge you could pull in the gcc
22 binary you made when it was installed the first time. I love binary
23 packages, I make and use them all the time. Invaluable for re-emerging.
24
25 If you are making sets, adding system packages, and removing those. I
26 would assume you are doing that as some sort of testing. Which would
27 want to re-emerge/install those packages. Depending on what your doing
28 very likely would want to make and use binaries in that process. Surely
29 if removing system packages :)
30
31 > I deleted /etc/portage/sets/palemoon_build, and the entry
32 > "@palemoon_build" from /var/lib/portage/world_sets. It turns out that
33 > all these packages are required anyways.
34
35 Meaning little was removed after you did emerge --depclean world ?
38 William L. Thomson Jr.