From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 09:24:32
1 On Sat, Jul 08, 2017 at 09:32:09PM -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote
2 > On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 20:27:38 -0400
3 > "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > > Though I will have to see what happens if a package is listed in
6 > > > more than one set. I think there is a hierarchy there.
7 > >
8 > > I tried "emerge -pv --unmerge @palemoon_build", and it was ready to
9 > > delete all the stuff, including gcc, etc.
10 >
11 > Did you get any warnings? Your about to remove a system package, etc.
12
13 Yes, for gcc.
14
15 > If you are making sets, adding system packages, and removing those. I
16 > would assume you are doing that as some sort of testing. Which would
17 > want to re-emerge/install those packages. Depending on what your doing
18 > very likely would want to make and use binaries in that process. Surely
19 > if removing system packages :)
20
21 Here's the problem... when I need some extra packages for a specific
22 project, I want them to be pulled in *IF NOT ALREADY PRESENT*. If/when
23 I finish the project, I want to remove packages *THAT ARE NOT
24 DEPENDANCIES FOR OTHER PACKAGES I'M KEEPING*. Using set terminology, as
25 in high school math, where
26 * A is the set of (packages I normally require)
27 * B is the set of (requirements for project X)
28
29 ...I want to end up with ( A union B )
30
31 If I ever finish the project and decide to unmerge the meta-set I only
32 want to unmerge...
33 ( A union B ) - ( A )
34
35 If / when I unmerge the meta-set, I want to only unmerge stuff that is
36 not part of (packages I normally require). I do not want all members of
37 the set unmerged unconditionally, regardless of being dependancies for
38 packages I still have.
39
40 This is where a meta-package is superior to a set. I simply unmerge
41 the meta-package, and "emerge --ask --depclean". If a meta-set item is
42 a dependancy of a package that I'll be keeping, it won't get removed. I
43 do not want to risk removing a package that is needed elsewhere. And 2
44 or 3 years later, I may have installed packages that have members of the
45 meta-set as a dependancy. A meta-package removes the risk of shooting
46 myself in the foot.
47
48 > > I deleted /etc/portage/sets/palemoon_build, and the entry
49 > > "@palemoon_build" from /var/lib/portage/world_sets. It turns out
50 > > that all these packages are required anyways.
51 >
52 > Meaning little was removed after you did emerge --depclean world ?
53
54 Nothing would've been removed. Several months ago, the hicolor-icon
55 theme would've been removed. But it has recently been added to the
56 ever-growing list of gtk dependancies. GTK == GNOME Tool Kit,
57 regardless of what they officially call it.
58
59 I only ran a "pretend" unmerge, to see what would happen if I did
60 unmerge the set. As a precaution, I've decided to migrate over to a
61 meta-package. As per Rich Freeman's recommendation, I'll go with
62 RDEPEND, and fill in optional descriptive fields in the meta-set.
65 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
66 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications