From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Adding 'GPL-2-only', 'GPL-3-only' etc. license variants for better auditing
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 19:56:58
1 On 9/21/19 12:09 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > TL;DR: I'd like to replace 'GPL-2' with 'GPL-2-only' etc., having
5 > the former trigger QA warning asking the dev to double-check if it's
6 > 'GPL-2-only' or 'GPL-2+'.
9 This works only until people start putting
10
11 LICENSE="GPL-2-only"
12
13 for things that they haven't sufficiently verified.
14
15 If we want to let those people keep committing to the tree, then a
16 specially-formatted comment might work just as well. It would be harder
17 to QA (you'd have to parse the comment and associate it with the
18 variable), but it would save us from having to rename the license every
19 few years to catch mistakes.