From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: LINGUAS usage
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 17:11:23
1 On Mon, 18 May 2015 18:25:35 +0200
2 "Justin (jlec)" <jlec@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I am in trouble about he meaning of LINGUAS in a certain context.
7 >
8 > The program supports
9 >
10 > a) different interface languages
11 >
12 > and
13 >
14 > b) different languages for the content text, like hyphenation,
15 > localized loremipsum and so.
16 >
17 > If you are setting LINGUAS="fr_FR en_GB fi", what do you expect to
18 > see in the end?
19 >
20 > a, b or a+b honouring LINGUAS?
21
22 I'd say a+b, with a) selectable by classical LC_* or LANG variables and
23 b) selectable by some interface probably.
24
25 that's what is done for texlive: LINGUAS pulls related packages that
26 install localized docs when applicable but also give you support for
27 hyphenations & co; however, no default is changed and you still have to
28 ask for babel to get proper hyphenations when compiling your .tex.