From: "Bryan Østergaard" <kloeri@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Resignation
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:52:54
1 On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 11:36:09AM +0100, Steve Long wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:29:29 +0200
4 > > "Ioannis Aslanidis" <aslanidis@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >> > The real point is that bug-wranglers has lost over 50% of it's
6 > >> > effectiveness, again imo. jakub and spanky are the two main guys,
7 > >> > and it's not just the loss of jakub's prodigious work-rate, which
8 > >> > kept a lot bugs from even reaching devs, but the loss of his
9 > >> > influence on QA which is a complete disaster for gentoo.
10 > >>
11 > >> Add +1 to that.
12 >
13 > <snip examples of bad behaviour>
14 > > ...does anyone want another few pages of that kind of thing? Devrel has
15 > > for once gotten something more or less right. Perhaps people should be
16 > > thanking them instead.
17 > >
18 > You're ignoring the point made about the amount of bugs Jakub kept away from
19 > devs, and the loss of his influence on QA. Quoting examples of his bad
20 > bahaviour doesn't change the fact that it is unacceptable for devrel to
21 > discuss his case without involving him.
22 Devrel have warned him numerous times to behave properly and stop
23 attacking other devs and users. How is that not involving him?
24 >
25 > Please note this is not the same as discussing a complaint with the
26 > complainant, prior to discussing a dev's behaviour as a team. And no, I
27 > don't want pages more; I agree Jakub can be difficult. But at least he is
28 > difficult in the cause of achieving something real and positive for gentoo.
29 He's also difficult in marking several valid bugs INVALID, refusing to
30 reopen them and refusing to assign them to the maintainers in several
31 cases.
32
33 Besides I'd like to remind everybody that spending a lot of time on
34 Gentoo, getting lots of things done, having a tough job etc. doesn't in
35 any way justify bad behaviour. If you're having a tough time and
36 starting to react badly it's time to ask ombudsman, proctors or maybe
37 even devrel to help solve the problem or maybe even take a vacation from
38 Gentoo. Failing to do so is quite often just going to make things worse
39 and ultimately result in suspensions or even forced retirement.
40 >
41 > And from the comments of others, *he gets the result*.
42 Sure, he gets things done. And it would be much better if he worked
43 together with other devs in a friendly way and stopped getting in the
44 way of maintainers as he has done on many occasions.
45 >
46 > It's not just me that thinks there haven't been any major b0rkages for
47 > nearly a year. Could it be that maybe, just maybe, the development process
48 > has actually worked /better/ since you were forcibly retired?
49 That's completely unrelated to the current discussion and there's
50 absolutely no need for such attacks.
51
52 Regards,
53 Bryan Østergaard