From: John Mylchreest <johnm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion: ebuilds linked to kernel upgrade
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:54:58
1 > 2005/10/19, Herbert G. Fischer <herbert.fischer@×××××.com>:
2 > Perhaps the modules-update could be extended to detect new
3 > kernels and warn users or automatically update modules. This
4 > could also be documented in Gentoo docs since this is a basic
5 > and common problem that almost every Gentoo user may have.
6
7 module-rebuild shouldn't really have this task. it isn't the right place
8 to do it. It will of course quite happily do what you need it to do,
9 rebuild anything which installs a kernel module from portage.
10 >
11 > 2005/10/19, John Myers <electronerd@××××××××××.com>
12
13 > if [ -n "$(which module-rebuild 2>/dev/null)" ] ;
14 > then
15 > if [ -n "${AUTO_MODULE_REBUILD}" ] ; then
16 > echo "Rebuilding external modules:"
17 > module-rebuild ${MODULE_REBUILD_OPTIONS}
18 > rebuild
19 > else
20 > echo "You might want to rebuild the following
21 > external modules:"
22 > module-rebuild -XC list | tail -n +2
23 > echo
24 > echo "You can use module-rebuild to do that."
25 > echo "If you want to have your external
26 > modules automatically rebuilt"
27 > echo "when making a kernel's modules_install
28 > target, set"
29 > echo "AUTO_MODULE_REBUILD in your environment.
30 > You can set"
31 > echo "MODULE_REBUILD_OPTIONS to options to
32 > pass to module-rebuild."
33 > echo "(-X for example)"
34 > fi
35 > else
36 > echo "You might want to emerge
37 > sys-kernel/module-rebuild to keep track of"
38 > echo "kernel modules you've installed with
39 > emerge"
40 > fi
41 >
42 I don't particular feel comfortable doing this. the only place I can
43 actually see this being of some use is with the pkg_config since an
44 ebuild postinst is far too soon, and patching up Kbuild to do this is
45 far too intrusive (let alone high maintenance).
46
47 A possibility (although I wouldnt like to promote it through portage)
48 would be to have a wrapper/helper script which would do all of this for
49 you. build-kernel or some such. But then... whats genkernel for right?
50
51 - John
55 Role: Gentoo Linux Kernel Lead
56 Gentoo Linux: http://www.gentoo.org
57 Public Key: gpg --recv-keys 9C745515
58 Key fingerprint: A0AF F3C8 D699 A05A EC5C 24F7 95AA 241D 9C74 5515
59 Web:
60 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x9C745515
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list