From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion: ebuilds linked to kernel upgrade
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:34:56
1 On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 21:44 +0100, John Mylchreest wrote:
2 > I don't particular feel comfortable doing this. the only place I can
3 > actually see this being of some use is with the pkg_config since an
4 > ebuild postinst is far too soon, and patching up Kbuild to do this is
5 > far too intrusive (let alone high maintenance).
6 >
7 > A possibility (although I wouldnt like to promote it through portage)
8 > would be to have a wrapper/helper script which would do all of this for
9 > you. build-kernel or some such. But then... whats genkernel for right?
10
11 Actually, genkernel does have the --callback option, which runs an
12 external command before finalizing the build. We use it for building
13 external modules and packages that require a configured kernel when
14 building the releases, but I think adding an option to genkernel
15 wouldn't be bad to do this for you. We could add a command-line switch
16 to genkernel to automatically rebuild any external modules after it has
17 built the kernel. We could use something like --autorebuild. You could
18 then do something like "genkernel --autorebuild all" to build your new
19 kernel and automatically rebuild all of your external modules.
22 Chris Gianelloni
23 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
24 x86 Architecture Team
25 Games - Developer