From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devfs is dead, let's move on
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:10:25
1 On Monday 11 July 2005 03:47 am, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 20:34 +0200, Richard Fish wrote:
3 > > >>>I.o.w. is it still necessary to have RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes" as a
4 > > >>>default or can we move to a pure udev system and change the default to
5 > > >>>"no".
6 > > >>
7 > > >>I've been running my boxes successfully with "no" since the option
8 > > >>showed up just fine :)
9 > > >
10 > > >I think people is under a misconception about this option and ... you
11 > > >really only need to enable this for a driver that is not sysfs aware
12 > > >(nvidia comes to mind - any others?), or if you have some custom nodes
13 > > >in /dev that you cannot do via udev ... And I am pretty sure (correct
14 > > >me if I am wrong) that all (or most?) in-kernel drivers are sysfs aware,
15 > > >and only a handful outside are not.
16 > >
17 > > Well, I do have a small issue with the software RAID (md) driver, in
18 > > that when autodetection is not performed by the driver (due to either
19 > > being a module or booting the system through an initramfs), no sysfs
20 > > entries or device nodes are created.
21 > >
22 > > Normally my RAID system is brought up inside my initramfs with static
23 > > nodes, so this really only affects my recovery CD, where I need to run:
24 > >
25 > > for d in 0 1 2 3; do
26 > > /sbin/mdadm --assemble --config=partitions --auto=md
27 > > --super-minor=$d /dev/md$d >/dev/null 2>&1
28 > > done
29 > >
30 > > Maybe something similar will be required in /sbin/rc, like you currently
31 > > do for LVM and the device mapper? It isn't a critical problem
32 > > though...I am pretty sure there are only a few Gentoo users who will
33 > > ever see this...maybe as few as 1!!!
34 >
35 > Mike, what do you think? This viable? We could maybe add an init addon
36 > for md, and move the lvm/whatever stuff to that as well?
37
38 i dont see the point ... ive already fixed raidtools / mdadm to generate
39 device nodes before running since udev doesnt do it correctly/at all
40 -mike
41 --
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list