From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devfs is dead, let's move on
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 07:47:55
1 On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 20:34 +0200, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > >>>I.o.w. is it still necessary to have RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes" as a
3 > >>>default or can we move to a pure udev system and change the default to
4 > >>>"no".
5 > >>>
6 > >>>
7 > >>I've been running my boxes successfully with "no" since the option
8 > >>showed up just fine :)
9 > >>
10 > >>
11 > >>
12 > >
13 > >I think people is under a misconception about this option and ... you
14 > >really only need to enable this for a driver that is not sysfs aware
15 > >(nvidia comes to mind - any others?), or if you have some custom nodes
16 > >in /dev that you cannot do via udev ... And I am pretty sure (correct
17 > >me if I am wrong) that all (or most?) in-kernel drivers are sysfs aware,
18 > >and only a handful outside are not.
23 > Well, I do have a small issue with the software RAID (md) driver, in
24 > that when autodetection is not performed by the driver (due to either
25 > being a module or booting the system through an initramfs), no sysfs
26 > entries or device nodes are created.
27 >
28 > Normally my RAID system is brought up inside my initramfs with static
29 > nodes, so this really only affects my recovery CD, where I need to run:
30 >
31 > for d in 0 1 2 3; do
32 > /sbin/mdadm --assemble --config=partitions --auto=md
33 > --super-minor=$d /dev/md$d >/dev/null 2>&1
34 > done
35 >
36 > Maybe something similar will be required in /sbin/rc, like you currently
37 > do for LVM and the device mapper? It isn't a critical problem
38 > though...I am pretty sure there are only a few Gentoo users who will
39 > ever see this...maybe as few as 1!!!
42 Mike, what do you think? This viable? We could maybe add an init addon
43 for md, and move the lvm/whatever stuff to that as well?
47 Martin Schlemmer
48 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
49 Cape Town, South Africa