From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE Linux 2.6.x
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:40:23
1 begin quote
2 On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:44:23 -0700
3 "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net> wrote:
4
5 > On Tuesday 21 October 2003 3:25, Spider wrote:
6 > > begin quote
7 >
8 > > Then fix pcmcia-cs and alsa-driver before you suggest anything. as
9 > > it is, my machine won't boot properly without pcmcia-cs -and- alsa,
10 > > as they IRQ conflict unless loaded in a certain order.
11
12 > Excuse me? "I" should fix these?
16 Because, they are two of the problematic builds that are affected by
17 your suggested way of fixing, or breaking, things. This was not
18 personally directed at you, but taken out as examples of packages that
19 can't just depend on "What am I running right now" Because of how they
20 work.
25 > > And no, you won't get me to emerge it with
26 > > SLOT="purple-gnomes-2.4.44" either, Just because I sat down and got
27 > > my own kerneltree installed into
28 > > usr/src/testkernelwithextraJFSpatches , and then loose my existing ,
29 > > working, tried kernelset.
30 >
31 > Okay, this part comes across barely intelligible, but if it helps
32 > substitute TARGET= for SLOT=.. of course I did point out it was a
33 > suggestion, not a solution, and you have offered up what
34 > counterproposal?
35
36 Curently my counterproposal is to actually have the usr/src/linux
37 symlink directed at the target kernel, and if that link isn't found,
38 assume that we want the running kernel instead, and repoint it at
39 lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
40
41 Just because usr/src/linux is a symlink in our case, why is that worse
42 than following and relying on the /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
43 symlink? The name? if that's the case, we could well make the
44 symlink named "Target" and instead just confuse people more.
50 > > When you get this set to -automagically- detect the target kernel.,
51 > > build modules and fix. then ok.
52 >
53 > Again with the when "i" thing...
54
55 Yes, I'm of the old school , I -assume- that people who suggest a way
56 of doing things, also have tried it themselves, or are capable of
57 implementing it. When you don't have that situation, you get "Designed
58 by Commite" solutions that may sound good, but are in fact unworkable.
63 > But I guess I'm just the stupid end user with no say, I guess?
64 > Atleast when I'm being a prick, I only represent me.
65
66 The personal form "i" which I used througout the whole email suggests
67 that in this case it is my personal opinion. To assume that it is that
68 of a team, whom I've been sent forth to represent, is plain silly.
71 And, in my not overly humble opinion, You have just as much to say as
72 anyone else. Its not about your email address.
76 //Spider
80 begin .signature
81 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
83 end