From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: checking properties in ebuilds and eclasses
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 19:19:49
1 >>>>> On Mon, 18 May 2020, William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 > I would like to start a discussion on checking the PROPERTIES value in
4 > ebuilds. Specifically this could be used to check for live ebuilds
5 > instead of assuming that the version number of an ebuild indicates
6 > whether the ebuild is live.
7
8 > The up side of this would be that we aren't reserving a specific version
9 > number for live ebuilds.
10
11 > The down side that is being pointed out to me right now is that
12 > we would need a function like in_iuse, but called in_properties, to
13 > check the properties. We would need something like this because
14 > properties supports use conditionals, e.g.
15 > PROPERTIES="foo? ( bar )"
16
17 Right (and I hadn't thought of this). I would say that this pretty much
18 kills the idea.
19
20 > I suppose another downside (and I do this, so I would have to adapt) is
21 > that you couldn't really use one ebuild for a release and a live ebuild
22 > at the same time any longer.A