From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: news item for upower
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 22:33:42
1 On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 22:24:11 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > The point is, human communication is vastly more powerful
5
6 +1
7
8 It might not be clear in the moment, because it looks like a ton of
9 bikeshedding and other ways some individuals would label this; but it
10 will be useful some time from now, when it leads to useful results.
11
12 Having some people talk about things on a chat, forum, blog, ... might
13 have a short lived effect now with an occasional spike in the future;
14 but, a news item reaches a much wider public for a much longer item.
15
16 Let's say someone upgrades his system in some weeks / months from now,
17 that person will be thankful that a news item was written about this;
18 instead of having this be part of the already though job of updating.
19
20 Of course, there is a thing like "too much handholding" but I think
21 that's not the case here as the upower case pops up in a lot of places;
22 one does not have to forget that there is also "too little handholding".
23
24 If it weren't for genkernel or a kernel seed to help me start out with
25 a booting system, I perhaps might have never started using Gentoo; I've
26 afterwards managed to change my config over time to look nowhere near
27 the original, but at least it makes me happy to have experienced the
28 handholding to bring me where I am today. These "little things" matter.
31 With kind regards,
32
33 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
34 Gentoo Developer
35
36 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
37 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
38 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D