From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: news item for upower
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 20:25:04
1 On 03/06/2014 21:50, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 >
3 > On 03/06/14 21:58, Peter Stuge wrote:
4 >> Steev Klimaszewski wrote:
5 >>> Instead of belittling the users because they are wasting so much of
6 >>> your time
7 >> Causing a rougher transition than neccessary is a waste of users' time.
8 >>
9 >> I don't think that's awesome.
12 >> //Peter
15 > I still don't understand how the news item helps anything, it's all
16 > matter of running
17 > one command, or two at most, `eix upower` after seeing blockers, seeing
18 > 2 different
19 > options, selecting which one to go with, emerging it
20 > I'd say such handholding distracts real admins from the real news items
21 > that actually
22 > require paying attention :/
26 Yes, it *is* a simple matter of running one easy command. Portage does
27 that for you with trivial ease. But portage doesn't tell you *which* is
28 the one easy command.
29
30 A news item does that.
33 Please realise that groking Portage's output takes considerable skill,
34 understanding and familiarity with the scene. It's much easier when you
35 know what will be printed before you run it - perhaps you are in that
36 position?
37
38 I've been using Gentoo for 10 years and portage still baffles me more
39 often than it should. I resort to reading the ebuild to figure it out.
40 Funny thing is, portage has the same information available as I do so
41 why doesn't it print more human-friendly output? At least we got past
42 that "satisfied by no parents in slot" stuff and now we have cute carets
43 that point to stuff like some compilers.
44
45 The point is, human communication is vastly more powerful than machine
46 communication in cases like these, and a news item fits the bill
47 perfectly. There are still 1000s of users out there who haven't run
48 across this upower stumble yet, a news item will help them a lot and
49 will be very well accepted (aka Samuli gets brownie points from user for
50 caring)
54 Alan McKinnon
55 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com