From: Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects and simple guides
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 21:19:18
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Lance Albertson wrote:
5 > Luis Medinas wrote:
6 >
7 >>On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 12:54 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
8 <snip snip>
11 > I had thought about creating some kind of a site like this, but not
12 > necessarily in a wiki form. I don't like the idea of letting users add
13 > random docs. There's too much room for error and how do you deal with
14 > accountability? There has to be a developer who either will take the
15 > time to maintain it or accept responsibility for any errors it may have.
16 > I like the idea of having an area for herds to keep track of their
17 > internal thing, but I fear it will just end up replacing what the GDP
18 > (and our www site) does. Its too easy for them to just start adding docs
19 > there instead of on www because its 'too hard' to deal with guidexml.
20 >
21 > If the issue here is guidexml, lets figure out the problem. We need to
22 > define what exactly is the problem before we decide on an
23 > implementation. Is the problem that there's no central place for herds
24 > to put updates/goals/etc? Is the problem that there's no easy way for
25 > users to submit new docs for people to use? Is the problem that guidexml
26 > hampers development time with regard to creating docs and you wish to
27 > have a better/easier way to create such docs?
28 >
29 > Simply saying 'we need a public wiki' is great an all, but I'd rather
30 > ask 'What problem(s) does the wiki solve' before we even get farther.
31 > There might be better ways to solving the problem other than putting up
32 > a wiki.
35 I think the big problem with certain pieces of documentation is the fact
36 that:
37 A) They change too often for any sort of static webpage. If I'm writing
38 portage docs GuideXML is probably not how I want to go, the docs are
39 essentially fluid for most of the development time, they change often,
40 entire sections are ripped out and moved as I go. In that type of case
41 any sort of static webpage is utterly horrible. Rather go a wiki route
42 ( or something similar ) to allow easy access & modification.
43
44 One could say, build the docs offline and then submit them later for GDP
45 to stick into GuideXML, but then only I can contribute to them ( myself
46 not being a developer ). I guess I could host my own Anon-svn for the
47 docs while they are being written, but not particularly my cup of tea.
48
49 B) Non-developers want to contribute. The devwiki currently doesn't
50 allow this, so I ended up asking Patrick at ge.org for an account to
51 start a wiki there, hoping eventually to move it somewhere else ( or if
52 events stay as they are, it can stay there ) Not many people want to
53 make diffs on guideXML ( I know I hate editing it ), and to fix a small
54 error or add a tidbit, no one wants to file a bug about it.
55
56 Those are the two biggest, docs change fast and non-devs want to
57 contribute to documentation in an easier way.
58
59 Problems with any sort of wiki solution thats Gentoo-wide comes down to
60 people editing projects they know nothing about, and managing
61 permissions should they be implemented. I could probably do well
62 editing the Portage section, but perhaps no so much in any Hardened area
63 of the wiki. Problem is maintaining that number of users/permissions is
64 a nightmare.
65
66 But those are the two biggest problems in my estimation. No one wishes
67 to impede the GDP here, Most of the docs I want to write are internal
68 portage API docs/FAQ/Howto's, and I doubt you will see users pounding on
69 the door to read them :)
70
71 Alec Warner (antarus)
90 --