From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects and simple guides
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 19:36:07
1 Luis Medinas wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 12:54 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
3 >
4 >>>>Devwiki is effectively inaccesable to non gentoo folks (whether in
5 >>>>access, or in navigating the beast), thus it's a no go.
6 >>>>
7 >>>>Any docs generated should be googable imo.
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>We could start a public wiki displaying all herds and projects. It would
11 >>>be great to add some low level docs, herds/project goals, ideas and so.
12 >>>Even the users could be allowed to edit and share information.
13 >>
14 >>Anything like that will need to be approved by the GDP and a GLEP.
15 >>Creating any sort of public wiki will basically halt the efforts of the
16 >>GDP which I'd rather not do. Not to mention deciding who would be
17 >>monitoring it and such (allocating people's time to it). I'm opposed to
18 >>any public wiki until the GDP states their opinion on it. Its their area
19 >>and I don't want to take it away from them.
22 > Indeed it's GDP area but to expose project goals, status and low level
23 > docs isn't even related with GDP. We can't maintain the high level of
24 > docs like GDP does and it's not even your goal. I think the public wiki
25 > idea will improve the communication between devs and users, add goals
26 > and show the status of projects. IMO GDP can't do much in this area
27 > simply because they don't have much to do about this and they have of
28 > course high level of docs to maintain.
29
30 I had thought about creating some kind of a site like this, but not
31 necessarily in a wiki form. I don't like the idea of letting users add
32 random docs. There's too much room for error and how do you deal with
33 accountability? There has to be a developer who either will take the
34 time to maintain it or accept responsibility for any errors it may have.
35 I like the idea of having an area for herds to keep track of their
36 internal thing, but I fear it will just end up replacing what the GDP
37 (and our www site) does. Its too easy for them to just start adding docs
38 there instead of on www because its 'too hard' to deal with guidexml.
39
40 If the issue here is guidexml, lets figure out the problem. We need to
41 define what exactly is the problem before we decide on an
42 implementation. Is the problem that there's no central place for herds
43 to put updates/goals/etc? Is the problem that there's no easy way for
44 users to submit new docs for people to use? Is the problem that guidexml
45 hampers development time with regard to creating docs and you wish to
46 have a better/easier way to create such docs?
47
48 Simply saying 'we need a public wiki' is great an all, but I'd rather
49 ask 'What problem(s) does the wiki solve' before we even get farther.
50 There might be better ways to solving the problem other than putting up
51 a wiki.
54 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
55 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
56
57 ---
58 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
59 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
60
61 ramereth/irc.freenode.net