From: Luis Medinas <metalgod@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects and simple guides
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 19:58:09
1 On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 13:31 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > > Indeed it's GDP area but to expose project goals, status and low level
3 > > docs isn't even related with GDP. We can't maintain the high level of
4 > > docs like GDP does and it's not even your goal. I think the public wiki
5 > > idea will improve the communication between devs and users, add goals
6 > > and show the status of projects. IMO GDP can't do much in this area
7 > > simply because they don't have much to do about this and they have of
8 > > course high level of docs to maintain.
9 >
10 > I had thought about creating some kind of a site like this, but not
11 > necessarily in a wiki form. I don't like the idea of letting users add
12 > random docs. There's too much room for error and how do you deal with
13 > accountability? There has to be a developer who either will take the
14 > time to maintain it or accept responsibility for any errors it may have.
15 > I like the idea of having an area for herds to keep track of their
16 > internal thing, but I fear it will just end up replacing what the GDP
17 > (and our www site) does. Its too easy for them to just start adding docs
18 > there instead of on www because its 'too hard' to deal with guidexml.
19 >
20 Like i said GDP maintain High Level Docs i think no one want's to
21 replace that. Herds docs will not replace GDP. Even if that's for
22 somehow happen it could be easy backported to GDP maintaining an High
23 Level doc. A few months back Diego "Flameeyes" started writing
24 maintainer docs for some applications, X team started their own docs
25 about modular X, amd64 team does have their docs and it doesn't have
26 anything to do with GDP or will replace them. An example for this is the
27 AMD64 FAQ that is part of GDP and all writen by AMD64 team.
28 > If the issue here is guidexml, lets figure out the problem. We need to
29 > define what exactly is the problem before we decide on an
30 > implementation. Is the problem that there's no central place for herds
31 > to put updates/goals/etc? Is the problem that there's no easy way for
32 > users to submit new docs for people to use? Is the problem that guidexml
33 > hampers development time with regard to creating docs and you wish to
34 > have a better/easier way to create such docs?
35 >
36 Indeed guidexml isn't a fast method to write information but we should
37 keep it for high level docs of course.
38 > Simply saying 'we need a public wiki' is great an all, but I'd rather
39 > ask 'What problem(s) does the wiki solve' before we even get farther.
40 > There might be better ways to solving the problem other than putting up
41 > a wiki.
42 >
43 I think the wiki will have users cooperate directly into herds, herds
44 can expose all types of information there (like status and future goals)
45 and it could be useful for feature requests, ideas, interaction between
46 everyone and it's a simple method for doing all this stuff.
47 --
48 Luis Medinas <metalgod@g.o>
49 http://dev.gentoo.org/~metalgod
50 Gentoo Linux Developer: AMD64,Printing,Media-Optical,Sound
53 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list