From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 19:10:47
1 On 2/9/16 7:43 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 7:36 AM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Given that the push for kdbus is more a political API move than
5 >> anything, I can see eudev sticking to the current interface and
6 >> working just fine.
7 >
8 > I doubt udev is going to make that switch until kdbus is merged into
9 > the kernel. I doubt that Linus will accept it simply over politics.
10 >
11 > Once it is in the mainline kernel, why wouldn't the eudev maintainers
12 > switch? At that point just about anybody using dbus is going to be
13 > making a switch to kdbus.
14
15 Yes. I have a plan for a refactoring of the fork based on the direction
16 the kdbus stuff upstream is going. So back last June they started some
17 major moving of code around. I was hoping to follow them smoothly into
18 kdbus support, but that's not possible (or not easily possible). So I
19 see where they're going and eudev-4 should have kdbus ready.
20
21 That's the plan but following Lennard is like following the rabbit down
22 the hole.
25 > Not using kdbus will be like not using /proc.
30 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
31 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
32 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
33 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
34 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA