From: "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RE:Boot floppies
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 09:18:55
1 > the idea is to do make a boot floppy that allows you to install Gentoo :)
2 >
3 > so, we'd be aiming for bootloader + kernel (2.6.x does not support the
4 > oldschool 1 disk w/out bootloader style) + workable env to setup your fs,
5 d/l
6 > a tarball, and chroot from there ...
7
8 Okay, I'm on the same page now. But still a little confused. I'm guessing
9 install floppy
10 for cases in where one cannot boot from a cd or no cd is present (older
11 machines).
12 So if this was the case, why a 2.6 kernel? You could do it with a 2.2 or 2.4
13 oldschool style,
14 and get it dropped back to one disk. It wont really matter what kernel is on
15 the disk,as long
16 as it runs it, everything going to the hd will be totally different anyhow.
17 Just a thought.
20 Chuck
21
22 P.S. I apologize for the M$ crap mail, but my box is really busy atm.:(
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list