From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New network config for baselayout-ng
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:16:04
1 On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 21:03:32 -0700
2 "Daniel Robbins" <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > 1) maintain the existing baselayout and don't change things at all.
4
5 Right, that's baselayout-1
8 > 2) start a new package called fastlayout and do whatever you wanna do
9 > with it. Be as innovative as you want to be with it. Change all the
10 > stuff in it that you want to change. Get people to test it and work on
11 > it with you.
12
13 Right, that's baselayout-2. It can go in the tree package.masked with
14 massive warnings in the ebuild "WILL BREAK FOR SYSTEM FOO!" for people
15 to test.
16
17 > I have learned from experience that you never want to start a project
18 > and call it "something"-ng.
19
20 To be fair, that was a knee-jerk reaction. I wanted a discussion about
21 a new config style, not one about the merits of bash as that would turn
22 into a predictable flamewar. You can count the relevant posts on one
23 hand sadly.
24
25 I've always seen this as baselayout-2.
26
27 > People don't like change unless they can see the obvious
28 > benefits of such change. And it is hard for people to see these
29 > benefits when you are just in the planning stages. That's what we call
30 > a catch-22.
31
32 Again, people won't *have* to change. It's already been demonstrated
33 that people can keep their array based configs if they so choose. Or
34 are you saying that baselayout should never change?
35
36 As to where the distros are going, well, there's upstart and others. Of
37 course, none of them work with our init scripts and all of them force a
38 posix shell afaik. So from that perspective, allowing posix init
39 scripts is mirroring where others are going.
40
41 Thanks
42
43 Roy