From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New network config for baselayout-ng
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 04:06:16
1 On 2/9/07, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > forking the package is retarded. maintain backward compability and there's no
3 > reason to fork it. baselayout isnt Roy's package, it isnt my package, it
4 > isnt anyone's. it belongs to Gentoo as a whole which means changes to it
5 > affect everyone in the distribution.
6 > -mike
7
8 I totally agree with Mike here. Roy, here is what I suggest you do:
9
10 1) maintain the existing baselayout and don't change things at all.
11
12 2) start a new package called fastlayout and do whatever you wanna do
13 with it. Be as innovative as you want to be with it. Change all the
14 stuff in it that you want to change. Get people to test it and work on
15 it with you.
16
17 3) once fastlayout is done and mature and is obviously
18 better/faster/more wonderful than the existing baselayout, *then*
19 let's talk about it becoming baselayout-ng.
20
21 I have learned from experience that you never want to start a project
22 and call it "something"-ng. Doing so takes for granted that it will be
23 the official replacement for the existing baselayout. Thus, every
24 proposed change is now a potentially disruptive change, and people
25 will want to review every design decision you make - and with good
26 reason. People don't like change unless they can see the obvious
27 benefits of such change. And it is hard for people to see these
28 benefits when you are just in the planning stages. That's what we call
29 a catch-22.
30
31 Ever wonder why every official "portage-ng" project would die within
32 weeks of being launched? This is why. The pkgcore/paludis model, where
33 neither is blessed as being the eventual successor of portage, is a
34 model that works. "something-ng" is not a model that works for any
35 meaningful change for Gentoo.
36
37 You have every right to scratch an itch, go scratch it. But it will be
38 slow going if you refer to this effort as the eventual successor to
39 baselayout. Making incremental changes to baselayout with no clear
40 roadmap is a bad idea and people will be critical of anything you
41 propose. It's *far* better for you to work independently and create
42 something that, when it's ready, we can all switch over to because it
43 is clearly better, well-integrated - and done.
44
45 Structured this way, "fastlayout" is certainly a project that sounds
46 like a great idea, and would I enjoy working on in some capacity - I
47 have some ideas about this. I also think it would be a good idea to
48 check out what other distributions are doing in this area.
49
50 -Daniel
51 --
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list