From: "Thomas Rösner" <Thomas.Roesner@××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New network config for baselayout-ng
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 05:37:55
1 Daniel Robbins schrieb:
2 > Structured this way, "fastlayout" is certainly a project that sounds
3 > like a great idea, and would I enjoy working on in some capacity - I
4 > have some ideas about this. I also think it would be a good idea to
5 > check out what other distributions are doing in this area.
6
7 Definitely. Other distributions/projects are quite active in this area,
8 and the advantage Gentoo had in init scripts, namely named runlevels,
9 real dependencies and parallel startup, are melting away. Ubuntu will
10 soon have an init script system that actively can restart failed
11 services, or react to system events like "ACPI: system now on battery"*.
12 This isn't Roys itch (it may even be the complete opposite, though
13 Ubuntu's system is reported to be way faster than what they had before),
14 but I'd really encourage ppl to give the competition a long good look**.
15
16 http://www.netsplit.com/blog/articles/2006/08/26/upstart-in-universe
17
18 I like my Gentoo top-notch :)
19
20 Regards,
21 Thomas
24 * I know, you can force ACPID into providing this right now, but they
25 use it for more than that. Plus, with Gentoo you have to create a new
26 runlevel to switch to, upstart can figure out what to do.
27 ** I don't say, "Adopt upstart now!".
28 --
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list