From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2017 00:24:34
1 Rich Freeman posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 11:11:24 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 10:52 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
4 > wrote:
7 >> Sorry, to be clear the conclusion I was hoping to draw is that one has
8 >> 2 repos instead of 1.
9 >>
10 >> 1) Rolling.
11 >> 2) Stable.
12 >>
13 >> Rolling is typical ~arch Gentoo. People in rolling can do whatever they
14 >> want; they can't affect stable at all.
15 >>
16 >> Stable is an entirely separate repo, a fork, where CPVs are pulled from
17 >> Rolling into Stable. If Stable wants to keep a gnarly old version of
18 >> some package around; great! But the rolling people don't have to care.
21 > This seems like it would be fairly painful to maintain. You'd need to
22 > constantly pull in new packages, and prune out old ones. It would
23 > duplicate many of the functions maintainers already do. I doubt anybody
24 > would go to the trouble to make this happen.
25
26 FWIW, the gentoo/kde team effectively do this right now, tho only with kde
27 packages and some of their deps, and it's live/prerelease/release-staging
28 vs ~arch/stable, not ~arch vs stable. But the amount of work is surely
29 similar, and they've been doing it now for a number of years and over a
30 major kde version bump, an upstream svn/git upgrade and general upstream
31 remodularization.
32
33 They seem to have the method and routine /down/, and I'm sure many of the
34 lessons they've learned could be used were such a main repo split to be
35 undertaken, but I honestly have no idea whether they'd consider the
36 effort huge or "painful to maintain", only that they do it -- pretty ****
37 effectively if I might add from my own consumption of both the main tree
38 and kde overlay.
39
40 And to address the concern over users with mixed ~arch/stable usage, as a
41 user effectively doing it but with mixed ~arch-main/live-kde usage, the
42 trouble of having to pull and update from both trees, managing masks,
43 etc, isn't actually that bad at all, particularly given the fact that the
44 main mask/unmask sets are maintained (automatically via project script)
45 in the kde repo so all I have to do is symlink appropriately and add an
46 occasionally temporarily overlooked one to my local exception file.
49 For gentoo/kde it would seem to have been worth it, but you'd have to ask
50 them if it's "painful" for them.
51
52 So it's certainly doable, maintainable over years and major changes, and
53 consumable, as gentoo/kde devs and their users have been and continues to
54 demonstrate. =:^) The /big/ question then is only whether that model's
55 actually a good fit for the wider gentoo culture, and I still have my
56 doubts on that one.
61 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman