From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2017 00:55:14
1 On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 8:24 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 11:11:24 -0400 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 10:52 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>
8 >>> Sorry, to be clear the conclusion I was hoping to draw is that one has
9 >>> 2 repos instead of 1.
10 >>>
11 >>> 1) Rolling.
12 >>> 2) Stable.
13 >>>
14 >>> Rolling is typical ~arch Gentoo. People in rolling can do whatever they
15 >>> want; they can't affect stable at all.
16 >>>
17 >>> Stable is an entirely separate repo, a fork, where CPVs are pulled from
18 >>> Rolling into Stable. If Stable wants to keep a gnarly old version of
19 >>> some package around; great! But the rolling people don't have to care.
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 >> This seems like it would be fairly painful to maintain. You'd need to
23 >> constantly pull in new packages, and prune out old ones. It would
24 >> duplicate many of the functions maintainers already do. I doubt anybody
25 >> would go to the trouble to make this happen.
26 >
27 > FWIW, the gentoo/kde team effectively do this right now, tho only with kde
28 > packages and some of their deps, and it's live/prerelease/release-staging
29 > vs ~arch/stable, not ~arch vs stable. But the amount of work is surely
30 > similar, and they've been doing it now for a number of years and over a
31 > major kde version bump, an upstream svn/git upgrade and general upstream
32 > remodularization.
35 The difficulty isn't in moving the ebuilds around.
36
37 The difficulty is in knowing WHICH ebuilds to move around.
38
39 In the case of KDE it is the maintainers doing the maintaining, so
40 they already understand which versions should move. They've all been
41 tested, so I suspect it is likely a lift and place of the entire
42 thing.
43
44 In the proposed multi-repository approach the maintainers would not be
45 the ones doing the moving.
46
47 Now, I guess you could have a snapshot/release-based approach. Take a
48 snapshot of the ENTIRE ~arch tree. Then do whatever level of QA, and
49 after a delay move the ENTIRE ~arch tree to stable. The problem with
50 this is that you'll probably pick that oddball version of some package
51 that is about to be replaced and isn't a good stable candidate, and so
52 on. It also would be difficult to actually test it all.
53
54 And if you're going to get the maintainers to move all their own
55 stuff, then you're just giving them extra work compared to just using
56 the KEYWORDS variable.
57
58 In the current state the maintainer is at the heart of the
59 stabilization process, so the person who already needs to understand
60 the individual package is the one deciding which versions go stable.
61 Duplicating this level of knowledge would not be straightforward.
64 Rich