From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pam: thoughts on modernizing pam_limits configuration that Gentoo ships with
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 22:07:02
1 > On 12 Dec 2022, at 21:55, Piotr Karbowski <slashbeast@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > On 12/12/2022 06.52, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
6 >> Please do file a bug tracking this proposal, and reference the
7 >> discussion thread.
8 >> On Sun, Dec 11, 2022 at 09:28:14AM +0100, Piotr Karbowski wrote:
9 >>> What I'd like to do is to bump the limits.conf we ship with pam to
10 >>> following
11 >>>
12 >>> * hard nproc 16384
13 >>> * soft nproc 16384
14 >>> * hard nofile 16384
15 >>> * soft nofile 16384
16 >>>
17 >>> Those are still reasonable defaults that are much more suitable the
18 >>> modern systems. I can only see benefits in it and am unable to think
19 >>> about the potential drawbacks of bumping *defaults*.
20 >> Drawbacks:
21 >> - The "*" would apply it to all users on a system, not just the
22 >> interactive ones, and reduce overall security posture.
23 >> - Does this also need a sysctl change for raising fs.file-max?
24 >> With those in mind, how can we deploy these defaults for interactive
25 >> users, while still trying to maintain the good security posture overall?
26 >> - Is using "@users" instead of "*" good enough? (I think yes)
27 >> - Should it be limited to shiny logins on X or should it also take
28 >> effect via remote logins? (conceptually yes, but I don't see a way to
29 >> do it today within the scope of only pam_limits**)
30 >> ** The closest other solution I can find is using a distinct limits.conf
31 >> for interactive logins, selected via pam.d trickery, and I don't like
32 >> that proposal.
33 >
34 > Since both you and Sam requested bug[1], so be it -- though I still find it excessive and I do not remember any other case where discussion about change in package were tracked in bug, I just hope it will not branch discussion to be in two places, navigating it would be difficult.
37 It's unusual to have discussion about a single package on the mailing lists. I tend to keep an eye on PAM
38 bugs because I maintained pambase.
39
40 Bugs are the primary method of discussing changes to packages.