From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@××××××××.com>
Cc: Nathaniel <natem@×××××××.net>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 15:14:14
1 On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 12:06, Ferris McCormick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Nathaniel wrote:
3 >
4 > > Regarding the etc-update issue, here are some of my thoughts.
5 > >
6 > > 1. etc-update should check modify dates and overwrite if not modified.
7 > >
8 > I haven't followed this very closely because there's so much of it, but
9 > this one suddenly woke me up. Just because a file hasn't been modified
10 > doesn't imply that it's OK to change it, does it? Maybe it's fine the
11 > way it is, but won't be if it gets changed? Appologies if I'm rehashing
12 > something.
13
14 All of the settings from a Gentoo package are supposed to work "out of
15 the box". If the file has not been modified, then it is using the
16 default setup from Gentoo. It should be able to continue using the
17 default setup and work properly. If it does not, then it is a bug and
18 should be treated as such.
19 --
20 Chris Gianelloni
21 Developer, Gentoo Linux