From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: git security (SHA-1)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 11:25:13
1 On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 2:13 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sun, 21 Sep 2014, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >
4 >> Do you really consider keeping a key open for machine signing
5 >> somewhat secure?
6 >
7 > You mean, as compared to manifests (or commits) signed by 250
8 > different developers' keys?
9 >
10 > Ulrich
11
12 Unrelated to git discussion, in the past we discussed co-sign, so that
13 developer signs using short term key, and infra co-sign using long
14 term key if the developer sign is valid at that time. Portage infra
15 should relay on infra key signature, while tractability is available
16 up to developer.
17
18 I will take the opportunity of responding to write that my preference
19 is to keep the manifest signature detached from the version management
20 technology, with no git specific feature usage, nor git specific
21 development (signed hrefs). It will enable much easier use of each
22 technology, one for file management and the other for security, while
23 enabling rebase and reorg without effecting integrity. If we can
24 establish co-sign I will be very happy.
25
26 Regards,
27 Alon