From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Identifying inherit-only / usable profiles
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 13:14:03
1 On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 21:25 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:12:40 -0500 Chris Gianelloni
3 > <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
4 > | On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 19:31 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > | > AFAICS there's no way to tell whether a profile is "inherit only" or
6 > | > whether it's complete enough to be used by an end user. Would it
7 > | > make sense to have an empty text file called "inherit-only" (for
8 > | > example) within profiles which aren't usable?
9 > |
10 > | I was always under the impression that all profiles should be usable.
11 > | If that is not the case, then I 100% agree that there should be some
12 > | way of marking a profile as unusable.
13 >
14 > Well, you couldn't really sanely run a system with your profile symlink
15 > pointing to 'base' or 'default-linux'.
16
17 ...and like every time you assume something, somebody has to come out
18 and point out the fact that you're an ass.
19
20 Yeah, I hadn't considered default-linux or base. Though, to be honest,
21 I bet you would have a working system with either of them, or at leats
22 you should, even if it did keep from having arch or release-specific
23 changes. After all, most of it would be the changes in virtuals, which
24 so long as you emerged the right programs to satisfy the virtuals for
25 your arch, you should be fine with either of these. However, you are
26 definitely correct that you can no select one of these profiles, do an
27 "emerge system" and expect it to work without some intervention.
30 Chris Gianelloni
31 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
32 Games - Developer
33 Gentoo Linux