From: Roman Zimmermann <mereandor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo: static/dynamic linking libraries
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:48:42
1 Am Sonntag 29 April 2007 12:36 schrieb Ciaran McCreesh:
2 > On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 10:54:12 +0200
3 >
4 > "Jakub Moc" <jakub.moc@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On 4/29/07, Roman Zimmermann <mereandor@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > > I'm now using gentoo with EXTRA_ECONF="--disable-static" for a
7 > > > while and it seems quite stable. Sometimes I encounter a package
8 > > > that won't build with this setting, but that's a rare occasion. At
9 > > > the moment this packages are for me:
10 > > > dev-libs/libpcre
11 > >
12 > > Disabling static libs in libpcre makes sys-apps/grep w/ USE=pcre bomb
13 > > out on compile... Just an example why you should always install both
14 > > of them.
15 >
16 > No, that's an example of why you should sometimes install both.
17
18 These are 5 packages out of 845 on my system. For those with version number it
19 is only a compile time error, when make errornously tries to build a static
20 target. Those without number are needed static by another package or don't
21 like --disable-static (sys-apps/ed). That leaves 2 out of 845.
22 So I'm with Ciaran here: It works for almost all packages and makes at least
23 some difference. Maybe enough to (really) give the users the choice (without
24 the ugly EXTRA_ECONF-hack)?
25
26 Those links Jakub posted are interesting, but I don't find an explanation why
27 this decission was made. Maybe you have a link to that discussion too?