From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 17:28:06
1 On Wed, 15 May 2013 17:03:13 +0200
2 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 05/15/2013 03:41 PM, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
5 > > ... GNOME ...
6 >
7 > And given that the end-plan according to the guys is to kill the
8 > distributions shall we just close Gentoo now?
9
10 Let's not exaggerate things, there are a ton of other DEs out there;
11 are all of them starting to depend on systemd specific features?
12
13 > > And (and!) how does all this fit together with eudev? If the idea is
14 > > to either put logind in udev (thus, not creating a separate logind
15 > > ebuild), it means that eudev is already a dead end for GNOME users,
16 > > unless the eudev team is going to provide logind as well.
17 >
18 > Is that so incredibly terrible write and maintain 1k loc?
19
20 Whether or not it is terrible, it is a time sink; is it worth doing it?
21
22 > > I don't want to start a flamewar here, I was the one who called
23 > > Lennart software lennartware, but science is science, and a reality
24 > > check had to be done: at some near point in the future, our users
25 > > will be forced to replace udev/eudev with systemd. Like it. Or not.
26 >
27 > Science is science, systemd doesn't work with anything but linux,
28 > Gentoo in theory should care about not-linux.
29
30 Indeed, the goal here is solely to make "systemd more accessible"; we
31 shouldn't pursue it to be the main init system or force it upon users,
32 unless there are indicators in the future that it became better (eg.
33 supports BSD, ...) for everyone.
34
35 Whether upstreams will force users remains to be a question to me, this
36 thread indicates a view from the GNOME users side; but that does not
37 target the wide audience that uses other DEs.
38
39 > > Is there anything we can do? Besides "being prepared", I don't
40 > > think so. Do we control upstreams? No, sorry.
41 >
42 > I'm upstream for some stuff, vlc was already really close to
43 > force-kill pulseaudio because of some cute problems, the thing got
44 > otherwise fixed.
45
46 Patches are still an option, and if patches become to tedious there
47 is the possibility to fork in the worst caste; if there aren't either
48 of those, we probably don't care enough to provide that piece of
49 software to our users. There's a moment one has to stop caring about
50 certain broken / incompatible pieces of software and throw them out.
51
52 > Freebsd, openbsd and some other operating systems are still there,
53 > they have their reasons and usually work better in those fields than
54 > other, I'm sure some people would wish to kill them, not going to
55 > happen anytime soon.
56
57 It's better to be neutral than to pursue something you can't accomplish.
58
59 > > So what do we want to do then? Isolate from the rest of the world?
60 >
61 > The world is bigger than that and we were making bridges around, *why*
62 > severing them because somebody else decided for you?
63
64 Indeed, I'd rather embrace than isolate; if something is useful for a
65 large share of users, isolating us from it won't make anybody happy.
66
67 > > (It's not a sarcastic question). I hope that everybody does their
68 > > own reality check.
69 >
70 > Did mine, other experienced the hard way what I said many times.
71 >
72 > Gnome doesn't seem a good reason to leave in the cold people that do
73 > not even care about it.
74
75 Used GNOME for months, then with 3.6 - 3.8 it started to break on me;
76 it didn't work on either OpenRC or systemd. While I was a happy user at
77 first, recent events made me lose interest in it; I think a discussion
78 regarding init systems and similar software shouldn't be focused on a
79 single DE, so I too am not sure why focus is laid on GNOME here...
82 With kind regards,
83
84 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
85 Gentoo Developer
86
87 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
88 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
89 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D