From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Useflags: qt, qt3, qt4?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:59:35
1 On Wednesday 21 June 2006 15:21, Caleb Tennis wrote:
2 > Solution: The qt flag represents the latest qt major version for the
3 > package.   The maintainer can either put in another flag for the older
4 > version (qt3?) or provide a separate package (e.g. dbus-qt3 ).
5 Although I can see why you suggest this (Qt 4 is what should become mainline
6 asap), right now I think it's going to be a bit of a mess for KDE users,
7 Remember we don't have use-deps and that splitting packages is something
8 that, if done without upstream support, can give very bad headaches (we both
9 know how KDE split is right now).
10
11 Also, this puts us back again in gtk's system, with different meaning for the
12 same flag (qt can then either be for Qt3 or Qt4, no clear distinction), that
13 might even change on maintainer's decision, becoming a mess to handle in
14 dependent packages.
15
16 Why you think it's better this way rather than having one meaning every
17 useflag?
18
19 Another thing that this setup is going to make incredibly difficult to manage
20 is use.mask masking on profiles. If for some reasons Qt3 or Qt4 needs to be
21 masked on a profile, even temporarily, by having qt mean one or the other
22 depending on the package is going to be a mess as we don't have per-package
23 use.mask (and we won't have till portage 2.2 gets the main scene). This is
24 another of the main reasons I don't think it's a good idea to overload
25 useflags with different (albeit slightly) meanings.
26
27 I agree on the other part tho, pushing Qt4 is indeed a good idea, although it
28 might mess up the look&feel of a desktop, but that is marginally important.
31 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
32 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE