From: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Useflags: qt, qt3, qt4?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:25:18
1 On Tuesday 20 June 2006 12:40, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > with kde4 approaching and the new Qt-4 being in the tree we suddenly see
5 > the same problems that gtk had with the gtk2 flag again.
6
7 I think there's a lot of good thoughts surrounding how to handle this. There
8 are 2 categories of packages we need to concern ourselves with:
9
10 1) A package can optionally add support for Qt3 or Qt4 (such as dbus).
11
12 Solution: The qt flag represents the latest qt major version for the package.
13 The maintainer can either put in another flag for the older version (qt3?) or
14 provide a separate package (e.g. dbus-qt3 ).
15
16 2) A package requires either Qt3 or Qt4 (both not both?...such as
17 x11-libs/qwt-5).
18
19 Solution: Build against qt4. If you want to provide the same package for the
20 qt3 version, add a new package to portage I suppose.
21
23
24 In the end, this is just merely suggestion. I think each maintainer should
25 come up with the best way to handle the situation unless someone is going to
26 GLEP this.
27
28 I think we should, however, do our best to avoid a situation where we have
29 some ugly combination of USE="qt -qt3" or USE="qt4 -qt qt3"...
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list