From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Useflags: qt, qt3, qt4?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:57:20
1 Caleb Tennis wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 20 June 2006 12:40, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> with kde4 approaching and the new Qt-4 being in the tree we suddenly see
7 >> the same problems that gtk had with the gtk2 flag again.
8 >
9 > I think there's a lot of good thoughts surrounding how to handle this.
10 > There are 2 categories of packages we need to concern ourselves with:
11 >
12 > 1) A package can optionally add support for Qt3 or Qt4 (such as dbus).
13 >
14 qt3 and qt4 is being used there already and it is obvious
15
16 > 2) A package requires either Qt3 or Qt4 (both not both?...such as
17 > x11-libs/qwt-5).
20 qt3 - enable optional qt3 support
21 qt4 - enable optional qt4 support
22
23 when both are possible its the maintainers decision, would look something
24 like this:
25
26 qt4? ( =x11-libs/qt-4* )
27 !qt4? ( qt3? ( =x11-libs/qt-3* )
30 Why you ask? Because a user does not care if packageX uses qt3 or qt4, he
31 just wants to use it.
32
33 But why do we have two useflags then?
34 Because the user should be able to disable optional support for either qt3
35 or qt4 or both for every package.
36
37 Disabling all optional qt4 support is only conveniently possible with a qt4
38 flag. Same for qt3.
39 We need separate flags here, otherwise you can just use one flag for
40 everything, it does not make sense to have two flags when one cannot be
41 used because the other is ambiguous.
42
43 > Solution: Build against qt4. If you want to provide the same package for
44 > the qt3 version, add a new package to portage I suppose.
45
46 This "add a new package to portage" is not really the gentoo spirit of
47 following upstream tarballing, in my opinion.
48
49 > In the end, this is just merely suggestion. I think each maintainer
50 > should come up with the best way to handle the situation unless someone is
51 > going to GLEP this.
52
53 We have 36 qt-use-packages, so we could have 36 different flags in the
54 end ;)
55 Trying to reach a consensus on the mailing list is a better idea imo.
56
57 > I think we should, however, do our best to avoid a situation where we have
58 > some ugly combination of USE="qt -qt3" or USE="qt4 -qt qt3"...
59
60 right you are. And since we already have a qt3 and a qt4 useflag in the tree
61 it is a good move to do this right.
64 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list