From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Useflags: qt, qt3, qt4?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:12:09
1 Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > Why you ask? Because a user does not care if packageX uses qt3 or qt4, he
3 > just wants to use it.
4 >
5 > But why do we have two useflags then?
6 > Because the user should be able to disable optional support for either qt3
7 > or qt4 or both for every package.
8
9 There's a significant enough use case for wanting only qt3 or only qt4
10 on your system that it might be worth considering it.
11
12 >> I think we should, however, do our best to avoid a situation where we have
13 >> some ugly combination of USE="qt -qt3" or USE="qt4 -qt qt3"...
14 >
15 > right you are. And since we already have a qt3 and a qt4 useflag in the tree
16 > it is a good move to do this right.
17
18 Agreed on this. So right now, we've got a couple of options.
19
20 - Use case is user wants program with its best qt. USE=qt is an easy
21 option. The other option is USE="qt3 qt4", and apps should always pick
22 the best of the enabled qt versions if they are mutually exclusive.
23
24 - Use case is avoiding installing either qt3 or qt4. Impossible with
25 USE=qt, possible with USE="qt3/qt4".
26
27 Thanks,
28 Donnie