From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flag: gzip-dict
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:06:33
1 On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 19:56:02 +0300
2 Peter Volkov <pva@g.o> wrote:
3 > В Птн, 19/12/2008 в 14:45 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh пишет:
4 > > If it reads (and presumably uncompresses) all of them at startup
5 > > anyway, what's the point in compressing them at all?
6 >
7 > It makes size smaller: both index and data files are text files so
8 > compression is very effective. All distributions I've checked compress
9 > data files, some compress both data and index. Probably all desktop
10 > users want dictionaries to be compressed because modern cpu's are
11 > really fast in decompression and even on my 4-years old notebook it
12 > takes less then second... But still there are environments where it's
13 > better to keep dictionaries uncompressed. That's why I want to keep
14 > this feature optional.
15
16 But disk space is cheap. How big are the dictionaries? The vim
17 dictionaries are around half a meg uncompressed, and if you're looking
18 to save a meg or two in disk space on the kind of system that includes
19 dictionaries then you're doing something seriously wrong...
20
21 Really, all that compression seems to do is save a small amount of
22 irrelevant disk space, at the cost of requiring more disk space and
23 memory for a new library and slowing things down to a level that's
24 unacceptable on some systems. Compression makes sense for network
25 transfers, backups and file formats that do their own domain specific
26 compression. Elsewhere? Likely not so much.
29 Ciaran McCreesh