From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo/Cygwin?
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:32:20
1 On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 21:01 -0500, Patrick Dawson wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > Does anyone have any information on what Gentoo/Cygwin is? Who is in
4 > > charge of this, and is it really at the stage where we should be
5 > > recruiting people to work on it?
6 At the moment the project is in hibernation.
7 Portage is a moving target, and some parts of cygwin are not really
8 useful for Gentoo-style compilation
9 (e.g. the linker dies after about 30 program installations)
10
11 > I'm *extremely* wary of the idea of
12 > > this kind of thing being committed without prior discussion -- there's
13 > > far more difference between anything we currently have and Cygwin than
14 > > there is between osx or bsd and linux-gnu, and we know how much work
15 > > those two are already...
16 Well ... it was a thing I did because it scratched an itch I had.
17 I don't mind if it won't be integrated into mainline Gentoo for a looong
18 time ...
19
20 > I think Patrick Lauer is the only one who's actually doing stuff with
21 > Gentoo/Cygwin at the moment, so ask him. Judging by the extreme lack of activity
22 > on the gentoo-cygwin list, I don't think it's nearly at the stage where
23 > recruitment should start.
24 And there won't be any recruitment until there's some significant
25 progress. Even the debian/win32 project has run dry.
26 If people are really interested in getting Portage/Cygwin working and
27 want to invest some time they can mail me offlist and I'll see how I can
28 help them get a better experience with Portage on Cygwin.
29
30 Patrick
31
32 P.S. Small factoid: Starting portage on Win98 causes an immediate
33 restart ...