From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: bircoph@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please subscribe to travis-ci mail alias to get notifications on depgraph breakages
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 16:32:46
1 On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 05:54:36PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > Right now there is no hard dependency on github or travis, of
3 > course. But present pathway worries me: with current pace at some
4 > point we _will_ depend on travis or github too much. Then they may
5 > change their terms of service or license argeement, or just shut
6 > down the whole service (as Google recently shut down Google Code).
7 > And then we will be in a great trouble. And then it may be too late
8 > to change anything. I want to avoid this, that's all.
9
10 It may take some work, but I do not think we could reach a point where
11 nothing could be changed.
12
13 Remember that, unlike cvs, every git clone, by default, has all of the
14 history of the repository, so all we would have to do is find another
15 place to host the repository and push it there.
16
17 > What we should really do is to develop our own QA tools or use
18 > existing free ones on our own infrastructure, thus that Gentoo
19 > development may continue to be independent and unbiased.
20
21 This is more likely once the main Gentoo ebuild repository is migrated
22 to git.
23
24 > Please understand that I'm grateful for all people improving
25 > Gentoo, including Michał, for their hard work. But we should not
26 > solely rely on third-party proprietary solutions (travis is a
27 > github lock-in) because of convenience.
28
29 wrt travis-ci, why not contribute code to it so that isn't a github
30 lock-in? Have you checked to see if the authors are opposed to that
31 kind of contribution?
32
33 I think all of these extra solutions are coming up because folks are
34 frustrated with the current status of our main portage tree not being
35 under git.
36
37 > Best regards,
38 > Andrew Savchenko