From: Tom Payne <twp@g.o>
To: Jeff Smelser <tradergt@×××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dev-db/mysqlcc removal
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 08:16:52
1 On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 10:31:12AM -0500, Jeff Smelser wrote:
2 > On Thursday 12 August 2004 04:08 am, Tom Payne wrote:
3 > > Have you tried phpMyAdmin?
4 > >
5 > > emerge phpmyadmin
6 > >
7 > > It's a rather excellent webapp for managing MySQL. Needs apache+php.
8 >
9 > Why would you require someone to install apache just it admin mysql?
10
11 I wouldn't ever *require* anyone to install apache to admin mysql. It was a
12 *suggestion*.
13
14 Reasons for suggesting phpMyAdmin are:
15
16 - It's a very slick tool.
17 - MySQL is often used as a database with Apache & PHP. Therefore is possible
18 that Apache+PHP might already be installed.
19 - I have Apache installed on my desktop PCs normally anyhow: it's a very
20 easy way to transfer files between boxes.
21 - It's a webapp, so the client (browser), server (apache+php) and database
22 server (mysqld) can be three different computers. You might be able to use
23 apache+php already installed some else.
24
25 So perhaps my response should have been:
26
27 "If you have Apache+PHP installed (or don't mind installing it) then check
28 out phpMyAdmin. It's a great tool for administering MySQL databases."
31 Tom
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list