From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Tal Peer <coredumb@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The release of 1.4 and its impact on our mirrors
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:10:54
1 On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 11:39:29PM +0300, Tal Peer wrote:
2 > On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Kurt Lieber wrote:
5 > > We have already received numerous complaints from our mirror admins about
6 > > the amount of disk space we chew up now. For reference, here is a break
7 > > down:
8 > >
9 > > 9.7G ./releases
10 > > 139M ./snapshots
11 > > 17G ./distfiles
12 > > 6.6G ./experimental
13 > >
14 > > [real-big-snip]
15 > >
16 > > Thoughts? Ideas?
19 > Looking at the numbers you provided, i think we should seperate the
20 > mirrors into two groups: Binary and Source. Binary mirrors would provide
21 > GRPs and ISOs, and source mirrors will only provide distfiles. Mirrors
22 > could provide both, of course.
23 >
24 > In the short term, there won't be too many binary mirrors (freeing almost
25 > 17 gigs of free space is tempting), so we should encourage mirrors that
26 > are high on diskspace to mirror both source and binary.
27 >
28 > In the long term, this could also rise the numbers of mirrors, as mirror
29 > provideres will need to 'waste' less disk space on the gentoo mirror (if
30 > they choose to only mirror one type, that is).
33 I think we should probably start with leaving non-GRP LiveCD ISOs on
34 "source' mirrors in that case and see how that works for mirror
35 providers. Otherwise, we may have a lot of frustrated users who can't
36 find CDs.
39 Jon Portnoy
40 avenj/irc.freenode.net
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list